Wednesday 5 April 2017

Diabolic - City of the Dead

DIABOLIC - City of the Dead (REPULSIVE ECHO - LP 2014)
Repulsive Echo is relatively new underground label from Greece that already has proven its worth with several great releases. They did some killer vinyl and CD reissues of bands like Gutted, Malevolent Creation, Solstice, Demented Ted, and also released new album from Brutality. And I know that Kostas, who's behind this label, has plans for more interesting releases. The first vinyl, which Repulsive Echo released though was "City of the Dead" demo by blastmasters from Florida, Diabolic! And wow, what a good start it was for Repulsive Echo. And even better for Diabolic, because this debut demo (originally released in 1997) simply kills. I do admit that I didn't have a chance to hear it before I got this vinyl, which is weird, because I have all other CDs, which Diabolic released. But this is why I am happy that Repulsive Echo came up with an idea of releasing this piece of black wax. It's a great addition to my collection and fantastic music to listen to. 
Originally "City of the Dead" cassette contained just three songs, so the LP edition has some bonus tracks to have even bigger value. But everything begins with the proper demo content... and wow, what a fantastic stuff it is. I truly love this demo!!!! The opening track "Denounce God" is so fuckin fast and brutal that it makes my ears bleed and I feel like a bulldozer rode over me and I have all bones broken! Amazing song, with the proper Florida sound and style of death metal, which is so characteristic for the US scene. Don't be surprised if you'll hear a lot of Morbid Angel influences, as well as Deicide, Monstrosity... but also Vader, Vital RemainsKrisiunetc! Yes! This song is killer, the drumming of Aantar Coates is so fast and precise that the impression is even bigger. And I love Paul Oullette's vocals. He sounds like a real beast! The second song is a title track and it's my favourite tune from the whole vinyl. It's the slowest song, with the fantastic Morbid Angel-esque riffage... but I love its atmosphere, viciousness and feeling. It sounds truly exceptional. Finally we have "Vortex" and yes, it's fast motherfucker! 
And then there's the bonus section. First we have two old unreleased songs "Encarta" and "Inborn". I'm not quite sure what year they were recorded, but they only appeared on the "City of the Dead" CD version before. Obviously they also sound very good and it's nice addition. Morbid Angel's "Visions From the Darksidecover sounds absolutely amazing, very close to original and I dare to say that it's just as good as the original. I fuckin love this song and this cover is absolutely 10/10 for me. On the other hand I don't care much for Slayer's "Gemini". I don't even know this song's original version, have no idea what Slayer album it's from, since the last record I have is "Seasons in the Abyss". It's well played, very well recorded... but the music is average for me. Finally a real treat for this vinyl is the last song "Lucifer Induced", recorded in 2013, which means it's the last Diabolic song recorded so far (which I know of at least). Obviously it sounds very much in the classic vein of this band, so expect strong death metal crusher in the best quality. 
The whole "City of the Dead" comes in fine black / white packaging (I like the idea of keeping it just black / white), with lyrics, some scans from the demo days and small poster. Definitely very recommended release and such a brilliant demo from Diabolic. I love it. 
Final rate: 90/100 

4 comments:

  1. Yeah,killer review,killer album, and this Lp release? I'm adding it to current year's whishlist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the comment! Definitely you need to get this vinyl edition, it's very well made and the sound is killer! I love this demo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really brief action and finally got it..what can I say...You're right-this is hands down hell of an album! Keep on supporting death metal and good luck with Panzerfaust

    ReplyDelete